Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Not Exactly Watching the Wheels Go Round and Round

I stop work, in theory, January 21. I will have 14 working days this month. By January 21, I will have had 25, yes TWENTY FIVE, site visits. In theory, I should have 12. Well meaning friends have suggested being so busy would make the time go faster. Well, it's not. My days are LONG! Very long. These visits included 6 hours to Salisbury and 6 hours to Charlottesville (round trip times). Many days, I go to multiple locations. That's the hard part...the getting in and out of the car. Yesterday a stupid Escalade parked too close to me. I was in pain for about 8 hours after squeezing myself into the car. My stomach hurt A LOT. I tried to bang up the door to the Escalade, but it was somehow rubbery. I was not ready to commit to anything more sinister, and was unable to get out of the car to leave a nasty note on the Escalade.

I'm not complaining too much, I am just saying the days are not going by quickly. When I get home, I still have email and reports to do. I could start slacking, but I want to do a good job, and I am a little stressed about the neurotic colleague that is covering for me. Turns out, even though he has been at the company longer, my numbers about doubled his last month (no wonder he has time to nit-pick). In fact, I was 3rd on my team of twelve, behind 2 super-CRAs that I don't even have a desire to emulate.

Some people, usually my study coordinators, ask me if I am definitely coming back after my maternity leave. I tell them I am not "stay at home" material. Neither are they, even though one of those super CRAs, one whose last child is already in child, has somewhat decided she'd like to be a SAHM. Sure, now that the kids are OLD! I am a firm believer that kids need experiences too, and it is good that I work. I have no "Mommy guilt." This may have to do with the flexibility of my job, and that Kevin is a super-dad. And that an incredible working mom with a highly well adjusted child just won New Hampshire's presidential primary the other night. Or was it last night? Like I said, the days are LONG.

Back to Hillary...I'm not real fond of her "God Bless Yous" and her paranoia over the pharmaceutical industry being the new evil empire...or of her many other right wing conspiracy theories. I kind of even dig Romney, especially since he did his best to straighten out the convoluted views of Big Pharma, and he has presidential hair. I do support girl power though. It's a shame Oprah doesn't.

No comments: